Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ryan Huston...trueAnthem's trueAwesome!

The trueAnthem contest continues onward! We had a great opportunity to speak with one of the artists, Ryan Huston, who is part of the contest. Admittedly after speaking with him, I downloaded his entire album and have been listening to it on repeat since. It's REALLY good. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

What's going on career-wise for you right now?
I'm working on my third studio album, and I just finished a book. The first part of the book is based on experiences and how I got to where I am, and the second part is a how-to, “How To Become a Rockstar from Home.” It was cool to put together. You can check it out in eBook form on RyanHuston.com or on my MySpace page.

Where can fans get updates on what you're working on right now?
The easiest place for them to go is to my MySpace page. I update it all myself! You can also track me down on Facebook.

What's your favorite part about being a musician?
For me it's being able to create music and share a unique art form of expressing yourself. Every time I work on something it produces something special and unique.

If you weren't a musician what would you be?
Graphic designer. I do all the artwork and photographs for the Web pages. It's a lot of fun.

What's your favorite band or who inspires your music?
Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Coldplay, Radiohead

How did you get started with music?
When I was 12 I was walking home from school and found an old guitar that someone had left by their trash. I picked up the guitar and took it to a music shop to have it restrung. Over the next few years I taught myself how to play and write songs on that guitar. I think that's where my passion came from. That old guitar. At some point though, I decided to pursue music more seriously and enrolled in college classes like music theory, composition history, as well as piano and sight reading. The intellectual insight and knowledge of composition has helped the depth of my music, I think.

Single best song lyric?
Like I said, I love Radiohead. I really like the lyric “because we separate it ripples our reflection.” There is a whole lot of emotion that comes from a lyric like that. I connect with it a lot.

What's your favorite WONKA candy?
SweeTarts. Definitely. I love them.

What's been good about being a trueAnthem band?
I've been able to get out my music in a way that wasn't possible before. Distributing music and being able to share a part of me and have fans connect back and tell me how much they love it -- that just reinforces that I'm doing the right thing. I've been fortunate to get a lot of downloads because of WONKA and trueAnthem's support.


Okay, so Ryan, here are a few bits just for fun...:
Favorite food? Chinese food. Any and all kinds, it's just delicious.

Favorite cereal? Cookie Crisp. What better way to start your morning off than with a big bowl of cookies. And then you poor the milk right on there. That's innovation.

Favorite TV show/movie? Nitro Circus on MTV, if you haven't seen it, check it out.

Well, there you have it, all. Ryan Huston! Be sure to log into trueAnthem and vote...and download his album. It ROCKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment